SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Dave Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2020 22:44:55 +0000
Hi Yasha,

Yes this is one of the most significant differences between the Debian/
dpkg/apt world and the Red Hat/SUSE/rpm/yum/dnf world.  It's a
difference in philosophy and it is reflected in the tooling.  There are
a lot more explicit package version dependencies in Debian that makes
this possible.  On the other hand there's a lot less backporting that
goes on there, so there's more instability.  I think that the
requirement of going through extra effort every 5 to 10 years to do a
reinstall from scratch is a deliberate choice in the rpm world.  I like
the relative ease of Debian upgrades, but it does have some
disadvantages too because you end up not upgrading some things.  For
instance I haven't done a fresh install in around 20 years on my home
Debian server, so as a consequence it is still using 32-bit executables
even though the hardware has long been capable of 64-bit.

Fedora releases are much shorter life and I've heard there's a tool
there to upgrade between releases more seamlessly, although I haven't
used it myself.

Dave