SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2020 17:11:46 -0800
I believe you may have misunderstood what I wrote.  Oliver Heaviside had
NO formal academic diplomata, but was fully professional with the
necessary credentials as demonstrated by knowledge, understanding, and
skills -- including making fundamental contributions to mathematics,
engineering, physics, etc.  I explicitly am not discussing either
legitimate academic diplomata nor vendor-based credentials/certificates.
  You evidently have the sort of credentials that I was discussing.
However, this is not meant to denigrate a legitimate earned academic
diploma -- a diploma may (*MAY*) be sufficient, but is not necessary --
except for those entities that require such diplomata or certificates
for a person to be allowed to work.  Thus, in the USA, a medical doctor
has to have a diploma to get a license to practice medicine; at my
university, unfortunately, today a person such as Heaviside could not be
allowed to join the Faculty, and definitely not the tenure-stream
Faculty.  My university looks at the bar-code, as it were, not the
actual contents.