SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:02:06 -0400
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have the following, possibly silly, question to post.  As I understand it,
> access to the git repositories meets TUV linux/GPL requirements for release
> of the source.  Nonetheless, the realities are that it is easier to build
> from the actual SRPMs that TUV uses.  These are not to be released by TUV.
> Presumably, CentOS, as what amounts to an owned subsidiary of Red Hat, uses
> SRPMs and the like to build CentOS internally -- or has a very extensive
> tool set for the git repositories.  My guess is that both TUV and CentOS
> construct SRPMs from the git repositories to build the respective
> distributions.  Hence, there most likely are (must be) tools/utilities that
> create from the git repositories a compatible coherent set of SRPMs.  Can
> the SL groups either get those tools from CentOS or can these tools be
> recreated?  For a system as complex as EL, any modern version of a build
> environment uses automation -- tools.
>
> Yasha Karant
>
> On 06/11/2014 05:15 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I  have been following this thread as we will be transitioning to EL7 as
>> it becomes available from SL.  From the Red Hat CentOS web site:
>

>> This is amazingly helpful. In the past I’ve spent an enormous amount of
>> time trying to figure out the appropriate compile options to get newer
>> versions of software working, and wishing that CentOS had something like
>> Arch’s ABS – now you do.
>

> Access to the git resources of the Red Hat published packages is irrelevant
> to the build environment. That material is all available in the SRPM's.
> It's the "mock" and relevant toolchains, used to build the hierarchy of
> critical depdneencies to be able to run mock and build the other components,
> that is still unpublished.
>

>> End CentoOS infomercial.
>>
>> What is the reality of the above -- yes, I have read this SL thread in so
>> far as it has appeared in my inbox to date.  Is this truly "amazingly
>> helpful" or is this to be a major impediment?  Will it only "cause some
>> users to change their workflows a bit", or is this a much, much larger than
>> "a bit" change?  The answer to this question must come from the actual SL
>> porting team(s), presumably at Fermilab and CERN, and as farmed out to those
>> directly working with the Fermilab/CERN porting/support groups.
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>

> There are trade offs. A git history of the changes needed to compile foe
> CentOS is potentially useful, A lack of canonical "this tag from is from
> RHEL, the other stuff is all from CentOS" is likely to create confusion
> about which bits were published or added by whom. If Scientific Linux is
> going to built from RHEL and add its unique features, rather than rely on
> CentOS as an immediate upstream, this is going to need attention.  It's
> going to be especially awkward if they elect not to publish GPG signed tags
> [...]

From http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010573.html

We do not have any of the SRPMs either, just the git repo.  We have to
check out the tree and assemble the SRPMs from git to build them.  What
you see on git.centos.org is all we have too.

And http://wiki.centos.org/Sources

has an example of how CentOS builds rpms.

But keeping track of the updates to every package is going to be
"interesting" unless there a git tool for this or CentOS publishes an
rss feed.