SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:34:19 -0400
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It is unfortunate that even with EL7 it seems to not be doing exactly what
> it says it is going to do; I would personally prefer a 'distro-sync force'
> that would reinstall everything from the selected repos no matter what, but
> a 'yum reinstall \*' does pretty much the same thing.  That last command,
> though, will try to reinstall all packages, even those from local sources
> that aren't in any repo; --skip-broken can help yum flow through those,
> though.
>
> Before a full yum reinstall I would back up all configuration files.

Given that "there can be only one" Fedora, I wouldn't expect the same
kind of effort to build migration tools. But it's *amazing* what you
can do by simply doing"

    rm -rf /tmp/failed /tmp/success
    mkdir /tmp/failed /tmp/success
    RPMLIST=`rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}'`
    for name in $RPMLIST; do
        yum reinstall $name -y 2>/tmp/failed/$name >/tmp/success/$name
    done

It's amazing how 3 or four years of sophisticated python development
can be replaced by a few lines of shell script, and get better error
reporting.