SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:24:13 +0200
On 06/11/2014 04:12 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 11/06/14 12:07, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
>> Yes a lot of us noticed.
>> Recompiling an entire distro from scratch is not an easy proposition.
>> Furthermore they need to strip out all of the Red Hat branding. Expect
>> it to take a while at least a month or two if not more.
>
> I think it'll take longer than normal this time around... The build
> process is changing completely from previous versions.

True, adapting the process to the new "supply chain" and source format
will take a while.

> It seems the code
> is getting published on git.centos.org - but it seems nobody really
> knows who is putting it there.
>
> This leaves the moral quandary of 'do we all trust an anonymous source
> with no official ties to Red Hat?'

http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/7Server/en/os/README says

"Current sources for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 have been moved to the
following location:

https://git.centos.org/project/rpms"

Does this reduce your moral quandary a little?

Matthias