SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:16:56 -0400
On 06/27/2014 05:26 PM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> The cessation of SRPM distribution in general to non-customers, which
> is the specific issue at hand here, is a new issue that has new
> considerations to take into account. Whilst it has similarities to the
> kernel issue in 2011 it also goes further.

The SRPM issue is not a new one, either.  Try to find the EUS sources,
for instance.  Or, to go to another, different, distribution, let's find
the SuSE Enterprise Linux Server SRPMS, the updates of which have been
only available to subscribers for, to the best of my knowledge, at least
ten years. You certainly won't find SRPMS in a quick skim of
ftp.suse.com.  (The latest SLES download is SLES 11 SP3, from July of
2013, nearly a year ago.  I know that there are security updates since
then, but where are they for non-subscribers?  Where is the source for
the updates for non-subscribers?  I'd love to find it so I could add
another supportable OS for my SGI Altix IA64 boxen).

This is not a new issue.  See Dag's take on it from 2007 at
http://dag.wiee.rs/blog/why-is-there-no-open-source-sles