SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:49:12 -0700
On 06/27/2014 01:14 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 06/27/2014 03:44 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>> The 800lbs gorilla in the room is CERN (and other large physics
>> labs), who require a linux (some linux) to run the large compute
>> farms for analysis of LHC data. For historical reasons, this linux
>> has been Red Hat based (and we know it under the names "SL" and
>> "SLC"). Will it remain Red Hat based? ...
> The CERN direction I would think is crystal-clear:
> http://www.karan.org/blog/2014/06/10/centos-community-buildsystem-bootstraping-by-the-cern-linux-team/
>
> http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/docs/GDB%2020140212%20-%20Future%20of%20Scientific%20Linux%20in%20light%20of%20recent%20CentOS%20project%20changes..pdf
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010517.html
>
> In a nutshell: it sure looks like SLC will remain Red Hat based. SLC
> developers have joined the CentOS Core SIG and are actively working on
> CentOS infrastructure.   If you want to see more, follow the
> centos-devel list; come to your own conclusions by seeing the actions.
Just so that the SL list has a specific inclusion of this information
(in the event the CentOS lists somehow become unavailable), below is the
last item in the above set.

  CentOS-devel] Welcoming CERN Linux Distro team

*Karanbir Singh* kbsingh at centos.org
<mailto:centos-devel%40centos.org?Subject=Re:%20%5BCentOS-devel%5D%20Welcoming%20CERN%20Linux%20Distro%20team&In-Reply-To=%3C53970C1B.9040305%40centos.org%3E>
/Tue Jun 10 13:46:03 UTC 2014/