SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:49:54 -0400
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Yes, it will work partially. To make the switchover complete you need
>> to do a 'yum distro-sync full' afterwards. While I agree that a
>> reinstall is cleaner, that isn't a direct answer to your question.
> You also have to re-install *every single package*, especially those
> that may have minor, uncertain differences between the two
> repositories. It can be done, I've done it between CentOS and RHEL and
> back several times on the same environment.

This is what 'yum distro-sync' is supposed to do (distro-sync full works
based on the package checksums, and is supposed to reinstall every
single package that has a different checksum than the currently
pointed-to repos).  If it does not do it properly, it's a bug that needs
to be filed against the upstream yum.

> It's a very expensive process in terms of system resources and local
> bandwidth.

It is that (In my case the new repos were on iSCSI SAN and the process,
while still taking quite a while, completed smoothly on all three Altix
systems on which I tried it).