SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Peter Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:31:22 +0200
  Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 07:42:39AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:14 AM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >   Ye old out-of-date strikes again.  Probably will have
> > to wait for SL7.  Rats!
> >
> >   Thank you for helping me with this,
>
> Or you could "rpm -U file.src.rpm", edit the resulting .spec file to
> manipulate the CFLAGS or other relevant options, and see if that
> builds and runs. I've found in backporting that a lot of  complex
> CFLAGS and other build options are optional tuning for performance or
> cross platform compatibility and can be lived without for day to day
> compilation.
>
> But it's hard to tell without actually trying them out. You've got the
> source tarball in the SRPM, perhaps you could run some tests with
> building from that source tarball, or even tweak that .spec file as
> needed?

  Note that bug-free c++11 functionalities were deployed "by successive
iterations" through the last N gcc major releases. Depending on
specifically which c++11 features they used it may or may not work
with any given compiler version (or with gcc4.4). But perhaps it is
worth a try, and you'll be lucky...

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland