SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:15:08 -0400
On 06/25/2014 04:29 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I occasionally need to do some drafting.  About
>     QCad Community Edition

Now that a more recent version is available in the community edition
this gets my vote.  I have purchased several Pro licenses over the years
from Ribbonsoft, and have done multiple large scale drawings (mostly
electrical singe line diagrams and network diagrams) with it, even
plotting on a 42 inch carriage HP DesignJet.  It's pretty basic in
functionality, but works relatively well.  I do encourage you to buy the
commercial "Pro" license, if for no other reason than to gain full .DWG
and .SVG file format capabilities.

Do note that the QCAD DXF files can be a bit difficult to import into
other CAD packages.

A feature list is at
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features and it's clearly
marked which features are in the community edition and which require the
purchase of the Pro edition.

The Community edition source is GPLv3 licensed, and is available as an
archive of source or through github.