SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:13:10 -0400
On 06/25/2014 12:15 PM, James Fait wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I recently received a new server system that has Centos 6.5 installed on it.  I would like to change that to a Scientific Linux 6.5 system without having to do a full reinstall, as this has no external media access except for the network.
>
> Is is possible to do something like what is done for a minor version upgrade, where I change what repos it is pointing to, and do a yum update to get the differences.  Will this work?
Yes, it will work partially. To make the switchover complete you need to
do a 'yum distro-sync full' afterwards.  While I agree that a reinstall
is cleaner, that isn't a direct answer to your question.

I've done the other direction, from SLC (SL CERN) 5.4 to CentOS 5.5 and
up while I was rebuilding CentOS 5 for IA64 last year.  There were a few
outlying packages that I did need to deal with manually, but it's not
really a big deal to switch from one to another.