SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 01:26:20 -0700
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was not referring to the Fedora mechanism.  Some licensed-for-fee
> commercial unix environments (not linux) used on primary servers allow for
> major release upgrade in place.
> Does the Red Hat method that is mentioned by Red Hat allow for this, or is
> the Red Hat enterprise z-stream "insane" to use in a production situation?
>
> If it is not insane but actually is effective, are there no Linux or GPL
> encumbrances on z-stream that "force" Red Hat to release the source?

Please see this documentation:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Upgrade_Tools.html

But it is supported only in some use cases. The details are summarized here:

https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/799813
(this one needs subscription to read)

Akemi