SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2014 13:47:47 -0700
Please correct me if the comment below is in error.

My understanding is that Red Hat has changed the rules for use of the
official RHEL SRPMs, but still using
the finest JDs and laws that money can be buy (as have many other
for-profit corporations) and thus stay in compliance with letter of the
the GPL, linux, etc., licenses, if not the spirit.

Those SRPMs may no longer be used to build any installable/executable
image other than for a machine that has a RHEL paid
license,, even if all RH logos, etc., are removed.  Only the evidently
unverifiable source via a CentOS git repository may be used to build
a "competitor" distribution for installation on other than a Red Hat
licensed machine.   My understanding is that this was for a twofold
for-profit business purpose:  force those of us who require a verifiable
build chain from "commercial" "supported" enterprise sources to purchase
a genuine Red Hat license; and to prevent real for-profit competitors,
such as Oracle, from supplying a RHEL-based distribution.

If SL ends up being just a CentOS SIG branch, then why continue with
SL?  And, if CentOS cannot be verified as a professional and faithful
"clone" of RHEL, use CentOS only with the greatest trepidation and
risk.  Would Red Hat want CentOS compromised?  No. But, CentOS would
degenerate
into an environment akin to Fedora -- something not sound enough for
production use.  Would CERN be willing to endorse published experimental
data (e.g., Higgs boson results) that used CentOS without a proper
verification chain of the source and build process?

Yasha Karant