SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:55:22 +0200
On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On 06/20/2014 03:55 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>
>>  It may have become a legal question now that the SRPMs are no longer
>>  available from ftp.redhat.com. That in itself is an unwelcome change.
>
> It is an unfortunate change, yes, but I prefer to give Red Hat the benefit of
> the doubt as far as motivations go, since they could close it up completely
> like SuSE has with SLES and SLED (OpenSuSE is SuSE's Fedora, so it doesn't
> count).  And SuSE is completely within its rights under GPL to do how they
> are doing; this is not a jab against SuSE, since SuSE has also done and is
> doing a lot of great work for open source.  (Of course, since I haven't
> looked for publicly posted source for SLES in a while, they may have posted
> it since I last looked and I just don't know about it.)

I am glad you agree that Red Hat now moving closer to what SuSE is doing
is unfortunate and not welcomed by the community(*).

(*) Where community in my definition excludes people on Red Hat's payroll ;-)

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/