SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:27:40 -0400
On 06/19/2014 11:47 AM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> I do not care what any lawyer has to say on this topic, because this
> is not a legal question.

Sure it is.

> Absolutely everyone reading this, including you, knows full well that
> the intent of the GPL -- indeed, its entire purpose -- is to enable
> precisely the kind of effort performed by the Scientific Linux
> maintainers _without undue burden_.

The release of source code the way Red Hat is currently releasing that
source code is fully within the spirit of the GPL, at least in my opinion.

Building packages out of git isn't really that much harder than setting
up mock to build from a directory full of source RPMS (I've done this
for EL5 on IA64, by they way, and it's not exactly easy to do, either);
it's just different, and there is and will be a learning curve.  The
CentOS team has a publicly accessible QA tree out there already for
testing-only purposes.  The issue with the lack of signatures is not a
GPL compliance problem; GPL requires modified sources to be released,
but it has never required that release to be signed.

Would I like things to be the way they were when Red Hat Linux 7 was
still named after a city (not RHEL 7; RHL 7, back before the turn of the
century)?  In some ways yes; in other ways no.

On the bright side, the flurry of effort and collaboration is downright
refreshing.  It almost makes me want to jump in and maintain something
again.... almost.  I did that for five years, ten years ago, and still
get e-mails demanding that I fix something for free....

> If some shyster finds some nuanced loophole that allows his employer
> to thwart this purpose, that says a lot more about the shyster and the
> employer than it does about the GPL. - Pat

Again I ask you to point me to a publicly accessible download repo of
current SLES source RPMs.  Now ask yourself why SLES source is hard to
find relative to RHEL source.

Now, the Red Hat model is really pretty simple: you could, if you want
to and have a current RHEL subscription, download all the current
GPL-covered source RPMs of EL7 and post them to a public server and be
within your rights granted by the GPL.  But Red Hat can remove your
access to updates if you do so (GPL doesn't give you the automatic right
to receive future versions of source from your current version of the
binary;  you only have the guarantee to the version of the source that
matches the version of the binary that you received).  Nothing in the
GPL requires the one who distributes the binary to provide public access
to the sources, either; only the person(s) to whom the binaries are
distributed have the right to demand source from the distributor (and
only for the version of those binaries that they possess).

But namecalling isn't really necessary, is it?