SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:04:12 +0000
I've been (fairly) quietly listening to the various threads about
repositories in SL5, and have a couple of questions about things.
Apologies in advance if what I'm asking about is something I should be
able to find in the notes etc, and I certainly don't want to distract
people from the SL5 beta work...

I've seen mention that the new anaconda can be told to look at several
repos during install, and that these will use the same info generating as
is needed for yum to also be able to use them later.

How will one tell anaconda the repos to use?  I see the kickstart 'repo'
option to add extra repos, but is there also a similar mechanism for
manual installs?

Will the anaconda stuff cope with repos which provide different versions
of packages (e.g. updates), or packages which clash/obsolete ones in the
'main' repo?  (basically does it have a complete dependency solver?)

As someone who hasn't used yum much before, can someone point me at a
gentle introduction to constructing the repo data that it and anaconda
will need?

Previously (in SL3,4 and even back using RH) we constructed the install
trees by taking the latest version of each package from various sources,
and using genhdlist/pkgorder/genhdlist but I'm assuming that with the new
anaconda features that won't be needed any more.  Is that right?

In 5rolling/i386/SL/build/scripts/ I see code in build.hdlist.sh (say)
which does essentially pkgorder/createrepo so I guess that the pkgorder
stuff still needs to be done like before, but that worries me about
whether anaconda still needs it in which case the extra repos may be 2nd
class...

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/