SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 02:31:20 -0800
The big physics labs that supported Scientific Linux get
much or all of their funding from the US government, and
that funding is allocated by politicians who depend on
campaign contributions.

I wonder how much IBM contributes to the politicians who
make the funding decisions for the labs, and I wonder if
there is subtle back-channel pressure on lab software
purchases and project funding decisions?

I'm not worried about any deep conspiracy, but if we want
the Scientific Linux ship to sail our way, we should learn
which way the winds are blowing.

Some of those winds may involve corporate users of SL and
CentOS.  There are surely some.  I'm a "corp" but a tiny
one.  I can ask friends at companies like Intel and Nike.

Which versions of Linux are ancestral to Google?  Amazon?
Netflix?  They probably have their own in-house "distros",
but they may desire new-hires with compatible knowledge.
Lobbying for federal investment in SL may be good for
their business.

I can also talk with my congresscritters, if any of them
are upstream of the committees that allocate US federal
funding for Fermilabs, CERN, etc.

Which congressional committees fund our big labs?

With many things shaking loose in Washington DC over the
next few months, it is probably a good time to make our
moves before new structures freeze into place.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]