SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2020 11:40:40 -0800
A note:

On 12/9/20 11:05 AM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 10:25:36AM -0500, Larry Linder wrote:
>>
>> Everytime I am forced to use Windows 10 my neurons rebel at the moron
>> aware SW.
>>

> I am sorry you are in the position where you are forced to use Windows,
> I feel lucky that I can "just say no!".

For those of us who must work in the "real world", unfortunately many
applications have no work alike for Linux, but typically proprietary
licensed for fee applications only for MS Win and/or Mac OS X.  Anything
proprietary for Mac OS X is impossible to legally use in the USA and EU
other than on an Apple (hardware) platform.  I will not use a dual-boot
system as this is both cumbersome and open to all sorts of compromises,
particularly from MS Win.  I have tried Cross-over (supported Wine), but
it is too limited in the reliable support of current MS Win
applications.  I currently use MS Win 10 under both VMware Player and
VirtualBox under, first, SL, and now Ubuntu LTS, as the platform I use
did come with a MS Win license.  Under this MS Win 10, I use proprietary
applications not available for Linux.  I also find MS Win 10 miserable
and cumbersome, with a horrid and time consuming upgrade process (I
experienced that because the current production release of an
application I use required a later release of MS Win 10 than was on the
virtual machine and I had to waste a day whilst MS Win 10 upgraded,
rebooted, upgraded, rebooted, etc., but one does not have a choice.

I do use LibreOffice and other workalikes.

This problem is not new.  When Sun was still a vendor and had desktop
workstations with a Sparc platform, it was forced to introduce an add-on
board with a X86 processor to run MS Win under Solaris so that such MS
Win applications could be run, as many users did not want two desktop
machines, a Sun for "real" work, and a MS Win box for "general use
applications".  Sun originally bought VirtualBox for this purpose once
Sun had switched to a X86 hardware platform.  Now of course this is all
part of Oracle as the oligopolies increase.