SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2020 17:38:47 -0600
Anyone else on the verge of tears after reading today's CentOS blog post?
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blog.centos.org_2020_12_future-2Dis-2Dcentos-2Dstream_&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=t2J9jUFVgun90FIMquH4QRfvlPyoP8v5iYSZEcA87_g&s=-5u1jeYbTrmg0sZScxVN-0qJ1ifC2BEGlmW4_B70SYw&e=

If you don't know CentOS Stream, it's "upstream RHEL". No, not Fedora.
Yes, that too is "upstream RHEL". CentOS Stream a rolling release (so
good luck getting long term steady kernels/packages) that is trying to
be Arch like but with RHEL flavor. It sits in between RHEL and Fedora.
It isn't and won't track steady releases like RHEL. It will have things
before RHEL, except for security patches which will still come in
whenever someone gets around to it. And, no, they still won't tag their
security patches as such because they expect you to apply patches (and
potentially reboot) at their whim.

For those of us in the scientific community who have packages from
vendors that standardize on RHEL dot releases, I'm not sure what we're
going to do. We have RHEL licensing on the important infrastructure
nodes but the hundreds of compute nodes, VM's, dev systems, and misc?
Going all RHEL would kill our budget. And I don't care if Oracle Linux
is free or how good of a clone it is, you only get burned by Oracle once
(and you are usually to broke to be burned a second time).

I suppose we can shift nearly all of our infrastructure to Ubuntu LTS
but there's a lot still left that I'm not sure we can move to CentOS
Stream nor can we afford to go to RHEL. Guess we are freezing our
conversations about moving away from SL7 and have year to figure it out
then make it happen...

*sigh*

~Stack~