SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:25:36 -0500
In the early days of Windows 3.0 and OS/2.  Windows 3.0 was short lived
because every user knew it was a dog.
OS/2 was pretty nice but had a fatel flaw as it only had one exit que.
i a program dies and not gracefully it was rebo0t time.

This is trivia trash but reflects on the Corporate Character of the
perpetrators.

RH 8 and Cent 8 should die quickly.  The community with the support of a
stable university should restart SL.

Everytime I am forced to use Windows 10 my neurons rebel at the moron
aware SW.

If the linux community took a stable set of Linux and made 25 functional
improvement a year and I don't mean rearanging the fruniture or new eye
candy.  Most of our computing OS nightmares would go away.

As an example I just opted to get a new version of VariCAD and during
installation it requested two different libc.SO's and a new C++
compiler.
Tor rebuild the libc.so for 2.15 took almost 20 minutes it worked.  I
froze at rebuilding the C++ lib after looking at it.

One thing I learned from the people at "stackOverflow" was that 2.15 did
not contain all of 2.10 or 2.11 or 2.12. etc.  The latest is 2.34.  The
tangled web of good intentions is killing Linux.

Without the stability of RH most developers will flounder and sink.  As
the supporters of GNU retire and die off - the new generation has no
desire to stay the course.
Without the long term stability the applicaions / CAD developers will
abandon it too.

The bright side is that there is no automatic self destruct mechanism in
Linux so even when the official support is ended we can still user what
we have but not be able to upgrade our applications.

We are a commercial user since SL 4.  As a for profit organization the
cost of just dumping 50 systems and install new OS's and applications is
beyond our budget. A few new machines are introduced each year to
support engineering / development.  Most are used in the shop / factory
as you would use a dish washer - just an appliance.  The primary goal is
stability.

So the sword had many sharp edges.

My 2 Cents worth
Larry Linder