SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2020 21:05:54 -0800
Beef:  Slang.       a complaint.
     an argument or dispute.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dictionary.com_browse_beef&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=udqqjMTgzCb4e7B4bSZsQSucKrJdBsUWfh-ZCVVf41k&s=Mx2aCWnuP6ZizsericAqpby4d9Jgaj5RSZycrHVivqo&e=

as I could not find a definition of "beef" in Merriam-Webster on-line.

The only reason that I am posting a "definition" of the term you used is
so that I can address your accusation.

I do not have a complaint, argument, or dispute with Rocky EL or any
other distro, enthusiast, "enterprise", or supported for fee.  The
issues are suitability, currency, hardening, and support mechanisms.  I
can elaborate on any of these if there is interest.  It is difficult,
but not impossible, to have a distro that does not have computer science
and engineering professionals (not in the sense of necessarily using
this as in the sense of a significant source of gainful employment, nor
in the sense of formal academic diplomata -- Heaviside had no such
diplomata, but in the sense of knowledge, understanding, and skills, of
which Heaviside had sufficient in all three of these areas) doing the
implementation that is suitable for "hardened" production use, including
converting a distribution source into a functioning alternately badged
but otherwise identical "executable" distribution.

My observation about the paywall was simply that public archived
discussions are needed to trace back both proper attribution (even if
not for-fee property) as well as to verify the current state of any
particular implementation.  (I am not going debate how one terms a
practice -- if access requires a fee or the equivalent -- make a
contribution of any sort-- such fee-controlled access has the same
effect as a paywall -- do not supply the fee, no access.)

A discussion of the actual or to-be-implemented suitability, currency,
hardening, and support mechanisms of any distro (or other engineering
artifact for that matter) is not a complaint, but simply proper
engineering.  Actual binary executables are constructed through
engineering and technology.