SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 19:37:13 -0800
I do not currently have the time or inclination to address the various
points raised in the exchange/commentary, to which I am adding some
comments, in sufficient detail.

UC CSRG BSD original deployment largely evolved for DEC hardware
platforms, such as the PDP-11 (with segmented overlay memory) and the
VAX 11/780 (the first "large deployment" production "non-mainframe" with
demand-paged virtual memory), with -- by current standards -- very slow,
limited RAM, low bandwidth bus (such as UNIBUS), and "ethernet" NICs
such as the DEUNA. All of this hardware platform was much less capable
than a current X86-64 home "PC" platform, or even some ARM based
"tablets" or "smart phones".  BSD did promulgate "sockets", and other
innovations.  It was somewhat constrained by early ATT Unix, with a
version of the Unix source license from ATT.  Had the legal games over
"unix" not ensued, and had there been some entity similar to CSRG and
the community that supported and used BSD (largely "professional"), some
of what you wrote might not have happened.  However, it was a policy to
build each installation of BSD from source, much more tedious than
installable "executable" packages from commercial vendors, the same
methodology adopted by the Linux community (communities?).  Was the BSD
C compiler system as good as ultimately the FSF GNU C compiler?  Again,
a matter for discussion -- but ultimately for a number of reasons,
including open source, the GNU compilers have become a widely used
implementation.  It was a too long time interval before a BSD variant
was ported to the first widely deployed IA-32 machine with demand paged
virtual memory, the 80386 with 80387 FPU; if memory serves, this was
after ATT released a Unix for that platform.

We could discuss the file system debates to some length.  Would either
the BSD file systems or EXT3, etc., scale to distributed WAN "file
systems"?  Would either be "reliable" at such scales?  I daresay no.

As for ultimate performance (say in minimizing actual CPU clock cycles,
memory accesses, etc., per "program execution"), a monolith typically
will outperform a microkernel design, just as a traditional unstructured
FORTRAN program (or in some cases, an assembly program) will outperform
an OO-design C++ program with encapsulation, etc.  Which program is
longer-term maintainable?  Which can be built by a large and dispersed
team?  These are issues of practical software engineering, and again, a
subject of another discussion.