SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2020 10:00:20 -0500
In the commercial world we have to support our customers for 20 + years.
If you want to stay in business.  Machines are typically run to wear
out.

We install VMWare and load the OS's we need under it.  Dos to windows 10
and several Linux systems.  The only thing we use of the host OS is the
file system and its security.

We avoid the DUMB convoluted desk tops and use what is necessary to
support our customers.

With processor power ever increasing and disk space headed to penneys /
giga byte.  It a way to insulate your self from some terrible mistakes
by well meaning people who make decisions on eye candy alone and have
obviously never used or managed systems.

An example is to count mouse click and key strokes to get thing done.

Anyone heard of motion related injuries?

We do not plan to re-evaluate RH 8 or Cent 8.  Our conclusion is they
are not acceptable for plant wide use.  A sad end to a good product.

Continuing to evaluate linux versions as possible OS's to jump to.  The
only one we have see so far is the chineese linux - it works wonderful
and the desk top is direct and to the point.  However we cannot use an
imported OS due to some of our business being military related.

The solution for people who need Fortran or other out of date
compilers / debuggers - Load a current OS, install VMWare, load the OS
you need under VMware, and use it.  Our subscription to VMWare
workstation is 168 $ .  You don't need it for everyone but its a good
solution for others.   Another + is you avoid the obsolete lib errors.
You avoid the goofy Gnome desk top as you can set up your box to boot
and run VMware and all you do is point and click on the OS you need to
run.  All your data and disk files reside on the hosts file system so
system back up is still used.  That is what we do to ovoid * - 8 OS's.
As long as they don't louse up the file system this is a good way to
work.

My two cents worth.
Larry Linder