SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:18:45 -0800
I fully agree concerning an engineering background.

However, any good practitioner (with, like Heaviside, credentials
equivalent to both academic intellectual education and practical field
experience, irrespective of formal diplomata -- today, the diploma seems
the most important and a Heaviside probably would be impossible) should
have the requisite software engineering techniques and skills.  My
concerns are two-fold -- lack of such techniques and skills, and lack of
sufficient work-fraction to do the work (e.g., for which the work is not
gainful employment).  For some things, such as say, Calibre or
TexStudio, it is less of a concern that these applications
professionally are constructed or maintained (these actually are);
however, systems software are of such a concern, including both
reliability as well as "hardening" against compromise.