SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:11:36 -0800
I agree with your analysis, save for three comments.  Mine also is not a
political comment, merely an analysis of fact.

Overwhelmingly throughout the world, HEP is funded by public funds
(sometimes from totalitarian dictatorships if one can call such
"public").  HEP addresses basic science, fundamental physics as do some
aspects of astronomy and cosmology, which is of no interest to
for-profits other than a bit of technology spin-off (sometimes useful in
the "consumer" sector, more often in the weapons sector).  The only
reasons a for-profit corporation in a "market" (including democratic
representative government neo-liberal oligopolies) funds fundamental
physics (I do not consider materials science fundamental, in that the
Standard Model, with appropriate computational capability and methods of
"solving" the underlying quantum field theory equations, including
quantum statistical mechanics, seems to be in full agreement, and even
has quantitative predictive power, for what has been discovered in
materials science under terrestrial conditions) is for publicity, for
proof of concept, and for tax writeoffs, often through vendor
partnerships that offer "huge" discounts from the commercial prices.
The equivalent areas of materials science, biology, etc., are of far
greater interest, particularly if wealth transference can be used
(public funding of the underlying research, but oligopoly profit from
the actual deployed products).  This public funding stream is
fundamental to carrying out experimental as well as computational
theoretical physics -- instrumentality is required (science is not "pure
mathematics", despite what some think looking at any modern hard science
research paper).  To those in HEP, all of the above is known and
"obvious", but to many in the wider SL community, it is not well understood.

There is adequate time to move servers past SL7 -- if IBM RH does not do
for CentOS 7 what it did for CentOS 8.  Marketing promises from most
for-profit entities are unenforceable and subject effectively to whim
(typically perceived in the best interest of the entity, often only in
terms of short-term stock value, not long-term, in the
quarter-by-quarter financial market model).  However, if new hardware
from vendors does not support the basic kernel gcc libraries of SL7, but
requires features from later production releases (say, what currently is
used by Ubuntu LTS), then the HEP community will have *LOTS* of
backporting to do.

The issue of what to do past SL7 is the question.  Security compromises
to SL7 probably will be minimal in so far as RHEL7 through CentOS 7 is
supported, but once unsupported ("EOL"), it becomes increasingly
hazardous to keep the OS in any "mission-critical" production
environment.  My personal guess is that in order to allocate financial
and personnel "resources" to other parts of the Fermilab/CERN
activities, SL was dropped for CentOS.  This choice is not possible.
Assuming that many of the servers actually are under a type 1
hypervisor, it is relatively easy to start deployment of new supervisor
environments and test these.  Otherwise, either machines must be
de-allocated from production and put into test mode for a new supervisor
environment, or additional platforms need to be procured.  Testing must
be done near scale, as we all well know -- testing on a "high powered"
workstation is not the same as testing on a clustered HPC machine,
perhaps with a SAN, and other platform features.

As for the use of Mac OS X or MS Win (probably 10 right now) on the
desktop, that is a matter of taste and funding.  As Apple again has
changed the Mac platform, now from X86-64 to ARM, and as Apple strictly
is a for-profit entity, there will need to be a massive re-investment in
new Mac machines, unless the X86-64 platforms convert to BSD or Linux,
and Linux is much easier to support for HEP built around SL.  A
technical question:  for those HEP workstations that are using Mac OS X,
is Fink or the equivalent installed so that "standard" applications
easily can be ported?