SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:14:55 -0600
This whole discussion brings to mind Eric Raymond's three essays;
later an iconic 1999 book: "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".
They discuss software development, culture and control, and business models
between open-source and closed-source models.

A decent synopsis of them can be found here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__informatics.bmj.com_content_23_2_488&d=DwID-g&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=kTytgzKkdHhIqdndyIcBX0DwNa_qVjjolf67ZOV5G10&s=oyQdXE2psOUlCUbuAYDOan3V_Lie-oK7KsICGigaoDo&e=

They bear revisiting, I think.

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-693-7418) | IT Administrator Emeritus
810 Ventura Rd.                | High Energy Physics Group