SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:45:47 -0800
I respectfully disagree.  Some users can take a "wait and see attitude"
-- let us see how distro X (for any X) that is "new" or "developing"
evolves. It may, or may not, meet our needs.  Others, of which the HEP
community (as with Fermilab and CERN) are prime examples, have to plan
ahead and cannot wait and see -- if distro X that appears that it will
meet needs in fact does not, there will be insufficient time to choose
another course.  One way to look into the "crystal ball" as it were is
to observe current developments to limit the "hindsight is 20/20"
result.  I have commented upon current developments that I have read
about and attempted to bring these to developments to the attention of
the SL community -- much of which reads this list.  For the enthusiast
or amateur, a failure of Fedora or Ubuntu non-LTS, etc., may only mean
inconvenience -- just as the MS Win "blue screen of death" seems to mean
to many.  For those who need a stable "secure" environment or platform,
and who must plan ahead, such "inconveniences" may be much more
consequential.  It also is possible that mention of such developments
here may cause changes in distro X.  The IBM acquisition of RH and the
end of CentOS as a no-fee executable installable EL shows that such
concerns do not always influence a distro, just as the HEP community no
longer had the disposable resources to produce SL 8, etc.  (In the USA,
fundamental science that does not have a clear path to for-profit
private sector eventual deliverables continues to suffer; thus, the
Arecibo observatory is gone.)

On the contrary, I have had a number of correspondents express great
confidence that Rocky EL (or whatever name the distro ultimately is
titled) will be a fully reliable replica of production supported RHEL.
I hope they are correct; but if not, those who "gambled" upon it will
have to face the same situation as is now before the SL community -- how
to proceed. Hopefully, ELrepo and EPEL, etc., will continue to support
porting needed drivers and utilities to EL 8, 9, ... , and thus Rocky EL.