SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2020 19:16:57 -0800
As all of the URLs posted below have been modified,  I followed one of
these (that Proofpoint did convert back to the real URL), and found:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forums.rockylinux.org_t_what-2Drhel-2Dsrpm-2Dsource-2Dto-2Duse_124&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=zZh3b_87HBt414ecXqvAm0JRR582SqZ4rF65dSQSrK0&s=Al_Sm2FCISFE-J1UzavNxCUfIqiW-Qy4Btf0Hhmbhpw&e=

For those interested in Rocky EL, these discussions are quite revealing.

One thing does concern me:  having left CentOS (it was all "volunteer"
effort at that epoch as I recall) for SL, a primary motivator was that
SL had professional (employed, not volunteer) persons doing the distros,
and this SL list amounting to support.

If Rocky is to be all volunteer, how reliable and professional will it
be?  This is not a minor issue, as very few enthusiasts or other
non-professionals provide a truly reliable deliverable.

For my use, is EL going to continue to be workstation friendly (e.g.,
laptop in which one cannot pick and choose to integrate only Linux
traditionally supported controllers with appropriate drivers, such as
sound "cards", but is stuck with whatever the laptop vendor has used --
typically MS Win "supported") or is it primarily a server distro?
Ubuntu LTS still seems to be laptop friendly.