SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:20:44 -0800
I agree.  However, when I examine the log of which packages were
replaced (I mean that the files associated with major release N were
fully replaced by those of major release N+1 -- however, log and end
user configuration were retained, such as the list of users, passwords,
etc.), I find that all of the system files, including the glibc, etc.,
that is used by the kernel and other "essential" system components, were
replaced.  Other than a reformat of the partitions that hold the
"system", how does this differ?  Admittedly, the mechanism does not
allow the transition from an ext4 file system to a XFS file system, but
otherwise, "all" of the "system files" are replaced by those from major
release N+1.  Evidently, those hardware, etc., drivers that have
multi-release kernel compatibility were not changed, but those drivers
that do not were changed.  Only after the running OS had replaced the
systems files and the system rebooted, did the N+1 OS run.  After the
N+1 OS was running was it requested to allow removal of those system
files that had not been overwritten (presumably to add to the available
disk storage capacity).

What am I missing?