SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2020 22:17:03 -0600
On 12/9/20 9:16 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:

> One thing does concern me:  having left CentOS (it was all "volunteer"
> effort at that epoch as I recall) for SL, a primary motivator was that
> SL had professional (employed, not volunteer) persons doing the distros,
> and this SL list amounting to support.
>
> If Rocky is to be all volunteer, how reliable and professional will it
> be?  This is not a minor issue, as very few enthusiasts or other
> non-professionals provide a truly reliable deliverable.

I would say, give it time. It wouldn't be the first time Kurtzer started
an open source project and turned into a company. :-)

> For my use, is EL going to continue to be workstation friendly (e.g.,
> laptop in which one cannot pick and choose to integrate only Linux
> traditionally supported controllers with appropriate drivers, such as
> sound "cards", but is stuck with whatever the laptop vendor has used --
> typically MS Win "supported") or is it primarily a server distro? Ubuntu
> LTS still seems to be laptop friendly.

They are aiming for complete RHEL reproducibility. If the goal is to be
as-true-as-possible-RHEL variant then the answer would be in how you use
RHEL.

But do give it sometime. It's only been two days and the announcement I
just saw said that there are now 750 people actively participating in
the various forms to communication and they have direction, a plan, and
leaders making it happen. And there's thousands of people who have
noticed and are talking about it on /. , reddit, lwn, ect. That's pretty
impressive and it speaks volumes about the number of people who really
do want a true-to-RHEL variant.

~Stack~