SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2020 11:25:11 -0800
If my recollection of the history is correct, CentOS and Princeton EL
were separate from SL.  CentOS originally was a "volunteer" effort
building from RHEL source, with RH personnel monitoring the CentOS
"lists" because CentOS had a wider range of an installed base on
enthusiast and home user systems, in addition to "professional" systems
(such as the HP Zbook laptop workstation that I use).  The earlier SL
major releases had some differences in the base installed system from EL
"stock", whereas CentOS did not.  Later major releases of SL essentially
were the same in the "base" as EL (in all cases, logos must change).  I
never worked with the Princeton release.  When RH (not Fedora -- real
production RH) was an executable installable supported distro, pre-EL,
we used that, licensed for free for "personal" use.  Prior to RH, I was
using Debian (the GNU Linux), and once RH had no executable installable
supported distro, I switched to CentOS. I then switched to SL because
CentOS was having issues and SL was professionally produced
(Fermilab/CERN) with the level of professional support we needed (that
is, this list, plus Fermilab SL support staff who would fix some things
-- such as inconsistencies or missing components in the standard SL
distro -- we do NOT need nor use "commercial cradle to grave"
handholding support, unlike the University IT division for which
everything essentially is outsourced to for-profit vendors, as part of
the USA scheme for public funding of private for-profit entities and
wealth transference to the wealthy. With the demise of SL 8 and the
purchase of RH and CentOS by IBM, I switched to Ubuntu LTS.  If
Canonical goes the way of RH, then I suppose I will look at Debian again.