SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:49:02 -0800
Springdale EL (Princeton in my terminology, just as SL is Fermilab/CERN)
shows the following:

Download
DVD

i386	x86_64
8.3	TBA	TBA

That is, there is no repo with an installable EL 8 ISO image.  As for
repos, Springdale shows:

If you are only looking to install some rpms, you can download our
repositories on your system.

YUM Repositories for PUIAS 8?  (NB:  This text was thus shown as not
[yet?] available.

If Sprindale is built from CentOS, then such a build will no longer be
possible from CentOS Stream (a perpetual "beta" version, not a
production distro).  Springdale (and Rocky EL) and any future SL 8 --
were the HEP community to fund such (personnel, space, and hardware
platforms) -- would need to get actual production RHEL 8 source from IBM
RH pursuant to the Linux, GPL, etc., licenses.  Such sources are not
"pretty" and are deliberately designed to be "unfriendly" to build from
source, even with removal of all of the proprietary "logo" IP.  The idea
of keeping SL 7 "alive" with perpetual backporting also may not be
attractive.  For now, until IBM RH announces for CentOS 7 what was
announced for the to-be-defunct CentOS 8, CentOS 7 can keep SL 7 patched
for security, albeit not necessarily for new hardware (e.g., backporting
drivers) or supporting new CPU and system I/O architectures.

Yasha Karant