SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2022

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2022 12:11:44 -0800
Will CERN/Fermilab provide the same level of support to AlmaLinux that
currently is provided for Scientific Linux?  Will this list transition
into an AlmaLinux list?

I have looked at the non-vendor lists for non-vendor ports of production
RHEL current (CentOS basically is a vendor port).  Very few of these
have the general professionalism that was present on the SL list.  I
personally have transitioned to Ubuntu LTS current production; one thing
I sorely miss is straightforward answers that the SL list provided.
However, unlike RHEL, Ubuntu LTS does support a larger selection of
recent laptop hardware platforms and allow for the most recent
production versions of particular end-user applications.  Nonetheless,
there are situations in which a RHEL current tested production clone
would be of use