SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2022

From:
Glenn Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2022 21:01:01 +0000
Hi Yasha,

> Will CERN/Fermilab provide the same level of support to AlmaLinux that currently is provided for Scientific Linux?

AlmaLinux has its own support channels, so those are the way to go if you choose Alma.

> Will this list transition into an AlmaLinux list?

There are no plans for that. We'll continue to support Scientific Linux, and this list, until the end of upstream support in 2024.

> Very few of these have the general professionalism that was present on the SL list.

Thanks to all for the helpful answers and friendly attitude!

Yours,

Glenn

On 12/7/22, 2:11 PM, "[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Yasha Karant" <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> on behalf of [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Will CERN/Fermilab provide the same level of support to AlmaLinux that

currently is provided for Scientific Linux? Will this list transition

into an AlmaLinux list?

I have looked at the non-vendor lists for non-vendor ports of production

RHEL current (CentOS basically is a vendor port). Very few of these

have the general professionalism that was present on the SL list. I

personally have transitioned to Ubuntu LTS current production; one thing

I sorely miss is straightforward answers that the SL list provided.

However, unlike RHEL, Ubuntu LTS does support a larger selection of

recent laptop hardware platforms and allow for the most recent

production versions of particular end-user applications. Nonetheless,

there are situations in which a RHEL current tested production clone

would be of use