SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:21:26 -0800
There are several issues with IBM RHEL clones, ultimately controlled by
what is termed the Nazgul below (presumably a reference to the fictional
entities:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Nazg-25C3-25BBl&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=nTjqdNvLHGUa2BQ5UsMUyvKD_BqcIQgVCd1DVvdlzDg&s=6U4Ha5dld83V2VaQLvx2ZWBL-I2zQZdYozUJ6C87tl0&e=  ).  For better or
worse, but so far "for better", I have switched to Ubuntu LTS current
(20.04.2 as this is written), not Debian.  Ubuntu, as with the old RHEL,
has internal "professional" support and development; LTS is used in the
"real" world as an "enterprise" distro.

My reason -- and after much internal discussion and debate -- is that a
10 year lifecycle is only as meaningful as IBM will allow the reality of
this statement.  As new hardware, architecture, and software (including
"systems" applications) emerge, without "updates" and "backports", only
"obsolete" systems will be supported from the actual IBM RH sources (not
executables, and not supported) that need to be built.  Updates for
current hardware, etc., will need to come from ElRepo, Epel, etc.,
unless (almost) all EL clone distros come together to do what IBM RH may
not be doing under the IBM Nazgul.

Is IBM trustworthy?  As a for-profit corporation, absolutely -- to make
whatever financial achievements it plans, subject only to regulations.
Is it trustworthy to keep promises, such as CentOS? -- the track record
of IBM (or many other such vendors) does not inspire confidence in
"trustworthiness".  If the CentOS situation significantly cost revenue
or market share, then indeed IBM RH would be "trustworthy".  Will the
CentOS RHEL situation cost IBM market share?  Probably not -- the CERN
Fermilab HEP community represents not that much market share.