SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2021

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2021 16:52:54 -0800
Having been burned by IBM before, and with no guarantee
that "Long-term Redhat for individuals" will survive IBM's
legal department into the far future --- I'm thinking about
abandoning 25 years of Redhat experience and switching to
Debian, while my aging brain can still handle change.

Debian - yikes!

Thinking about - not decided, though I halted work on a
server upgrade to CentOS 8 while I wait for the dust to
settle.  Rocky in April is another option, but if IBM
goes after them, they will be a wet spot on the floor.

So - who else is contemplating a move to Debian?

I very much hope to stay connected to the "scientific"
aspect of our community.  Making big changes together
with other science computationalists would be easier.

Easier still would be staying with an RPM distro, IF it
remained useful and legal and affordable for our kind of
computing.  An e-commerce and corporate infrastructure
focused distro, not so much.

Keith

P.S. I remember the Red Hat booth at OSCON 2014, after the
Borging of CentOS, where I was assured that they would
support CentOS into the distant future.  That "assurance"
survived the IBM acquisition by 18 months.  What changes
will 5 more years of IBM (and their formidable lega
department, called the Nazgul by other technology lawyers)
result in?

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]