SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2021

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2021 17:52:42 -0800

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 09:04:25AM -0800, William R. Somsky wrote:
> But is this *specific* thread producing any light?
> Or just generating heat?

Light for some of us; it encourages experimentation and
learning, perhaps preparation.

I'm converting one of my servers to Debian, and keeping
track of the difficulties.  Mostly, cleaning up after
decades of accumulated bad habits and cruft; "apt"
rather than "yum" hasn't been a big deal.  Yet.

That will keep me busy until the Big Bosses at CERN and
Fermilabs tell the underlings which way to jump.  If the
jump is off a cliff, I may have a parachute ready.  If
the jump is to Production Ready Rocky, at least I've found
some uneeded-transition-inspired improvements.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]