SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2021 14:48:13 -0800
For the time being -- until IBM RH decides otherwise -- Princeton
Springdale EL 8 appears to be what SL 8 would have been, and
professionally is produced by Princeton staff.  As for there being no
rebuild of SuSE SLES -- a question I asked long ago when we tested,
under support license from SuSE as required by a granting agency, it
appears that SuSE does not distribute source in as convenient a form as
RH did of that epoch, and more or less continued to do until IBM decided
otherwise.  Thus, it was "easier" to clone EL than SLES, and as EL was
as "good" as SLES, there was no strong motivation for the clone -- what
you point out below.

The reason that I am reluctant to recommend Princeton Springdale EL 8 at
this juncture, in addition to the various reports of issues with RHEL 8,
is precisely what you have indicated -- it is unclear if or when IBM RH
would make future clones no longer viable.  Communicating with business
types, the issue appears to be not only because the benefits from the SL
base were negligible to the IBM market share and revenue-counting
decision makers, but because of the competition from Oracle that has a
clone of EL and provides support for fee (particularly inviting for
sites that use Oracle RDMS).  (Canonical provides support for fee as
well -- that being a major revenue source for the for-profit corporate
overlord.)

On a practical basis, for now, Ubuntu LTS has a corporate overlord that
employs professionals to build LTS from Debian, and according to what
has been communicated to me, not to keep LTS "bug-for-bug" compatible
with Debian but to "fix bugs" that then get repaired in Debian (as
Canonical releases source).  However, I also have verified that to go
from LTS to "stock" Debian is straightforward, much more so than to go
from one EL boot install distro to another in many cases.  Thus, if
Canonical does an IBM RH ploy, Ubuntu LTS departs, and Debian arrives.

The big question at this point is:  what will Fermilab/CERN/HEP do?  If
SL 8 remains out of the question, and licensing for fee IBM RHEL 8 is
not in the budget(s), what then?  It is not just EOL from IBM RH for EL
7, it also is the internal "obsolescence" of EL 7 in that later
production releases of gc++ and the associated libraries will not be
backported into EL 7 (or SL 7), making some important applications no
longer deployable at the current production release of the application
(as I experienced with TeXstudio).