SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2018

Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2018 17:42:57 +0000
Dear All,

I'm vaguely aware that the standard SL (and presumably RHEL)
repositories don't contain any decoder for the H264 video codec,
because someone, somewhere considers the codec to be too heavily
patent-encumbered to distribute the decoder.  I'm also vaguely aware
that some other GNU/Linux distros _do_ distribute H264 decoders.  Does
anyone have any information about _why_ different distros have
reached different decisions about this question of law, please?

Kind regards,

Dan