SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 12:35:19 +0200
On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 04/06/2016 04:11 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Debian has a tradition of chopping packages up.
>>
>> For Gnome, there's gnome-core and gnome. The former provides a minimal
>> Gnome environment and the latter provides the full complement of apps.
>>
>> I assume that the Debian Mate maintainers followed the same pattern
>> but I have no idea what mate-desktop-environment-extras might be. I
>> assume that EPEL's mate-desktop corresponds to Debian's
>> mate-desktop-environment.
>
> "assume" can be very dangerous.

Yes. But it's a fairly safe assumption because neither Fedora nor RHEL
has ever followed the Debian model.

Are you running "yum groupinstall mate-desktop" or "yum install mate-desktop"?

On an X-less system:

When I run "yum groupinstall mate-desktop", yum wants to pull in 540
packages and 410MB/1.2GB.

When I run "yum install mate-desktop", yum wants to pull in 140
packages and 80MB/240MB.