SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2016

Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 01:11:58 +0200
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
>
> MATE is available through the Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux
> (EPEL) repository, maintained by the Fedora Project. This should work
> on CentOS 7 as well, and any other compatible derivatives.
>
> After you install the epel-release-7*.rpm package to add the EPEL
> repository to Yum, you can install MATE with the following command:
>
> yum groupinstall mate-desktop
>
> If you install this on a minimal system without an existing GUI
> configured (such as a GNOME or KDE desktop), you might want to install
> the X Window System group as well for local graphical logins:
>
> yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>
> You may also want to change the default systemd target to graphical:
>
> systemctl set-default graphical.target
>
> End quote.
>
> Note that unlike other entries in this URL document, the actual
> release (version) of MATE is not given (presumably because the
> document maintainers do not have the time or perhaps do not get
> information from the EPEL "team".

Probably because EPEL doesn't stick to one version per release.

Last April, mate-desktop 1.8.2 was added. Last August, 1.10. Last
December, 1.12.

> Also, unlike the entry for Debian that states:
>
> Debian
>
> MATE 1.8.1 is currently packaged for Debian 8 (jessie). MATE 1.12 is
> also available on Debian testing (“Stretch”) and unstable (“Sid”).
>
> (If sudo is unavailable on your system, simply omit it and use a root
> shell)
>
> First make sure your package list is up-to-date by running:
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> To install MATE, choose one of the apt-get options below.
>
> This will install the base packages required for a minimal MATE desktop
>
> sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core
>
> This will install the complete MATE desktop
>
> sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
>
> This will install the complete MATE desktop including a few extras
>
> sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
>
> End quote
>
> There is no explanation of just which components are automagically
> loaded through the use of the RHEL 7 instructions; that is, there is
> no explicit equivalent of:
>
> This will install the complete MATE desktop including a few extras
>
> sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras
>
> i am not certain what are in the "extras"; I do know that after I got
> MATE up and running on my wife's SL7.2 laptop, I had to hunt for the
> other RPMs I needed to get MATE GUI displays of what she expected (and
> I also use on my MATE desktop). I am referring to items for the MATE
> menu and items for a MATE panel (e.g., applets).

Debian has a tradition of chopping packages up.

For Gnome, there's gnome-core and gnome. The former provides a minimal
Gnome environment and the latter provides the full complement of apps.

I assume that the Debian Mate maintainers followed the same pattern
but I have no idea what mate-desktop-environment-extras might be. I
assume that EPEL's mate-desktop corresponds to Debian's
mate-desktop-environment.