SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:56:01 -0700
On 2016-03-30 10:59, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 03/30/2016 09:14 AM, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2016, Benjamin Lefoul wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have set monitor-connection-files=true in my
>>> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
>>>

>>> It works fine (in fact, instantly) if I edit
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with emacs or vi (for instance,
>>> changing the IP).
>>>

>>> It fails miserably if I use sudoedit, or sed:
>>
>> I *think* emacs writes a new file with a different name and then renames it.
>> Try "ls -li /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" before and after
>> editting; if the inode/inum (the number at the beginning) has changed
>> that is what your editor is doing, and what NetworkManager is looking for.
>>
>>> # grep 100 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>>> IPADDR=192.168.4.100
>>>

>>> # sed -i 's/100/155/g' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>>>

>>> Even though all stats (access modify and change) are renewed.
>>>
>>> It's worse than that: even nmcli con reload afterwards fails.
>>>
>>> In fact, the only way to get the ip to change is by entering the file with
>>> vi, not touching it, and leave with ":wq" (not just ":q").
>>>

>>> Why is that? What is going on here?
>>>

>>> I know, I know, I can use nmcli in scripts, and not string-manipulation
>>> tools, but say I don't want to... :)
>>>

>>> And still, during operations, I'd rather edit the files with sudoedit...
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>

>>> Benjamin Lefoul
>>>
>>> nWISE AB
>>>
> I have a related question.  I have now inserted an appropriate UTP cable into
> the RJ-45 jack on my laptop, I have a green LED (meaning MAC signal) -- thus I
> have a 802.3 connection.  However, unlike previous incarnations of Network
> Manager, the present SL7 one does not allow me to activate the 802.3 connection,
> but only the 802.11 connection. Evidently, despite claims that NAT should work
> with 802.11 to VirtualBox running a MS Win 7 Pro guest (a claim as I recall
> contradicted by other respondents), it does not (MS Win sees no network).  Thus,
> I am attempting to run my laptop on a wired 802.3 connection, but I cannot seem
> to activate it.  I do need Network Manager when I am in the field and must
> connect to arbitrary 802.11 WLANs in a fashion similar to MS Win and Mac OS X
> (for which the "automagic" 802.11 DHCP hotel, etc., networks seem to be
> designed).  How do I get Network Manager to allow me to activate the wired
> connection?  Note that Network Manager does "see" the 802.3 NIC ( it displays
> Ethernet Network (Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM) but shows disconnected and
> will not let me connect.  Do I need to be root to make this happen?
>
> If this related query should be a new thread, I will repost as such if that is
> appropriate.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Yasha Karant

Yasha, you may find you have to modify the virtual box settings so that they are
not trying to use a network connection that is not active. That will also mean
shutting down VB and restarting it. This is an issue I have with a Windows 7
host, as well.

Disconnected adapters won't communicate with anything. And when you connect
802.3 the 802.11 connection is shut down.

{^_^}