SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:29:16 -0700
My query applies specifically to Mozilla Thunderbird current, but could
have a more general solution.

I need to convert to a plain text file listing (that could be imported
into a word processor, LaTeX or a GUI front end thereto, etc) what
appears in the display of Thunderbird as the columns Subject From and
Date for an internal activity report that I must write. These columns
appear on the end-user GUI display and allow one to then read specific
messages by "point and click". As I cannot find a description of the
official Thunderbird nomenclature for the various sections of the GUI
display, I am using the above descriptions.

I could use a screenshot application, select a rectangular region, save
each entity as a PNG image, and then use an OCR application to yield
plain text. I would prefer that the screenshot application simply
recognizes the text *AS* text, allowing me to copy and paste into a text
editor, etc., all running under X wndows. Does anyone know of an
application that does this? A brief perusal on the web as well as a
quick read of the information on the "default" screenshot applications
that come with either MATE or KDE does not seem to reveal a mechanism
for this (but rather the PNG or other image, non-text, route).

The normal mechanism I use -- highlight (select), pointing device button
(to copy), and then point device button (paste) to capture from say a
text HTTP file in a web browser to a word processor application -- does
not seem to work for the above "column" portion of the Thunderbird
display. This normal mechanism does work if I view source for each
message, displaying the SMTP text source and headers in a box, but is
very time consuming as the information that I need is available in the
"columns" of the basic Thunderbird user interface without having to view
the source.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Yasha Karant