SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:27:19 -0500
On 07/04/2011 06:21 PM, chinamusic wrote:
> Are those tools suitable for rolling raw SRPMs from TUV into an SL-like
> form?

No, those tools are not suitable for rolling raw SRPM's from TUV.

  Has anyone documented the steps to get from A to B?

Not as far as I know.
It's not simple, especially from starting from ground zero.
Even if you started with SL 6.0 and went on to do all the updates and
everything to 6.1, you run into problems with about 10% of the packages.

> Thanks in advance,
>

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Shawn Thompson <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     We actually have Fedora's live CD/remastering tools in the repository.
>
>     ~Shawn
>

>     On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:47 AM, chinamusic
>     <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>         Does such a doc exist for the SL process of building the distro
>         from the nekkid srpms?
>
>         I'm going to have a few interns over the summer so I thought
>         this might be a fun project for them to work on and give me some
>         insight into flavoring the distro to our environment.

I have to laugh at this.
Thank you for trivializing my job to such a degree that you think that
two interns over the summer could figure it all out and do it.  I feel
such job security.
Just don't tell my boss it's that easy.
(Again, I found it humorous.)

>         My apologies in advance if such a tome exists...I wasn't able to
>         find it. smile.gif
>
>         Best,

OK, I will give you some of the common tools.
Most people who do rebuilds use mock and/or koji.  Since koji uses mock
as the underlying build process, it doesn't hurt to know mock before
knowing koji.  But if they are pressed for time, you don't have to know
the details of mock in order to use a koji server.

There is another tool out there called something like rpmcompare.  It's
called something like that because it's been rewritten and renamed
several times.  This is used to compare the binary packages to other
binary packages.  This let's you know how close your end packages are to
other vendors packages.

Since they are pressed for time, I would suggest they start with SL 6.0
as their initial build platform and build everything after that.
Building the initial SL 6.0 rpm's was very painful.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group