SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Floris Bos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Floris Bos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 00:11:22 +0100
Hi,

I'm having issues getting SL6 installed on systems with more than one network
interface.
Since the network interface could be either eth0 or eth1 depending on the
server, we normally specify the kickstart network device by MAC-address as
boot option, e.g.:

==
ksdevice=11:22:33:44:55:66
==

And specify a static IP-address (the same as assigned by DHCP), without
explicity naming an Ethernet device in the kickstart file, e.g.:

==
network --bootproto=static --ip=10.0.0.10 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --
gateway=10.0.0.1 --nameserver=127.0.0.1 --hostname=hostname
==

Under Centos 5.5 and Fedora this works correctly, and causes the network
device specified by ksdevice to be used.

However it does not seems to work with SL6 beta.
It does get a DHCP lease on the right interface, downloads the kickstart file
and the first installer files, but then it always configures "eth0" with the
network information specified, instead of the actual ksdevice.

This is an issue if the ksdevice is actually eth1.
Because eth1 was assigned the IP-address by DHCP, and SL assigns the same IP-
address to eth0 as well, network connectivity breaks, and it throws an error
that it is unable to download the other installation packages.

Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos