SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:49:09 -0600
Hi,

On 02/14/2011 02:54 AM, Hubert Bahr wrote:
> Troy etal.
>    I have been using rsync to maintain a local mirror of you repository.
> I am now using SL6 on my cluster.  In creating a backup of my local
> repository I noticed that although ls -l under ncftp of x64_86 packages
> the *6.rpm and *noarch.rpm files show a hard link, they are not
> preserved in rsync -H.  My impression is these must not be linked to the
> equivalent named file under i386 packages.  In fact when I do a diff
> between the equivalent named files in the two directories about 30 of
> them return differences.  What are you reasons for not having the same
> package under both directories?  And will you eventually have them hard
> linked?

I'm glad you checked that.  We had intended them to be hard linked, and
if not hard linked, then at least there should be no diff's between
them.  But I haven't checked that for a while.
It's entirely possible that as we updated and added packages that we
occasionally didn't run the script that makes those hard links.
Expect this to be fixed with this Friday's Update.

> What is your planned structure of the 6.0 repo?  Similar to
> RHEL6.beta/or source?

The SL 6.0 repo structure should be the same as the SL 6rolling repo.
We don't seperate things by Client, Server, or Optional.
The only change I'm thinking might be with the source rpm's.  I'm
thinking of moving the whole directory up one so instead of it being
source/SRPMS it is just SRPMS

> I do all my installs over the network from my local repo so I haven't
> been experiencing the problems found when installing from iso images.
>
> Thanks for getting the distribution to this point, already very useful.
> Can you use any additional assistance?
>
> Hubert

You are very welcome.
At this point, just having people test and check in various ways is very
useful.

Thank You
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group