SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2009

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:57:12 +0100
Hi Al,

Al Neumann wrote:
> [...]
> Just not really sure what SL has been doing...  i.e: Where are those real
>
> scientific apps!!?
> Somewhat dismayed at the use of "scientific" in current SL.
> Al

I know that's confusing. And it's the most frequently ask question about
SL -> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/general1

Q. Where are all the 'science' programs?
Q. Is Scientific Linux better for scientific applications?

A. This linux distribution is called Scientific Linux because it is made
by scientific labs, for scientific labs and universities. It is not
named Scientific Linux because it has the largest collection of
scientific programs. It was named back when it was small, and only the
scientific labs were using it.

Cheers,

    Urs