SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:34:25 -0800
Hi Urs,

I also ran a test on my laptop using the LiveCD x86_64.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Akemi,
>
> Thanks a lot for your feedback. Also many thanks to your tester(s).
> This really helps.

I expect to get more results from others.

> WLAN card: I think that also RHEL/CentOS/SL53 will not recognize the WLAN RaLink RT2561/RT61 card
> correctly. I guess it's more a RHEL kernel issue than a LiveCD issue - but I'm only guessing.

Yes, this must be the kernel / firmware issue.  On my laptop, wireless
failed as well.  It apparently identified the hardware (4965) and
loaded the right driver (iwlagn).  This laptop currently runs SL-5 and
the wireless works fine with the iwl4965 module.

> Display resolution: Maybe it would help to specify the display resolution on boot prompt with boot
> parameter screen:
> linux screen=1680x1050
> Or for NVIDIA cards. I have added the Nvidia driver on the LiveDVDs (not on the LiveCD). This is not
> well tested but one can try to boot with
> linux nvidia

Thanks, this is worth a try.  I myself did not have an issue with the
resolution (not nvidia).

> Clock: I have seen these kinds of problems before. And I'm quited puzzled.
> What I do: The file /etc/sysconfig/clock does not exist on the LiveCD. So my intention was not to
> set the time zone. Therefore the system time should be set to the hardware clock. The output of
> "date" should be equal to the output of "/sbin/hwclock", which seems not to be the case (always?).
> During shutdown the hardware clock is synchronized with the system clock, which screwed up the clock
> in the case below.
> I think I will remove the synchronization of the hardware clock at shutdown of the LiveCD.
> However, I don't understand why the system time is not equal to the hardware time if
> /etc/sysconfig/clock is empty.

Yes, I saw the same clock issue.  It seems to have reset the hardware
clock of my laptop.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Akemi