SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:22:31 +0200
Il 15/08/2008 alle 10:57, Dr Andrew C Aitchison ha scritto:

> How have they logged in ?

I've logged into a TTY (the VGA console) after boot, did a 'startx &'
and quit the login shell. Root (me again) has his own shell in an xterm
inside my X session.

So no one is still logged into a TTY, but I'd think that, since these 2
users are doing stuff, they should be seen as logged in (further
research shows that they *are* seen if logged into a TTY).

> Login processes have to register with utmp, but not all login
> processes have permission to do this (essentially by writing to
> /var/log/wtmp).  xterm is the program which springs to mind as
> sometimes not have having permission to do this.

Interesting. I don't know much about this topic, so any pointers are
welcome.

Thank you,
Andrea