SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:28:34 -0500
Ken Teh wrote:
> I suppose I could test this if I had a sacrificial machine, but I'm hoping someone can simply confirm that it does work.  I have a 4.2 server machine which was not installed with the gnome desktop.  I need to do so now and was wondering if 'yum groupinstall gnome' would do the trick.
>
> Thanks!

Hi,
This all depends on if you already have all the X stuff installed and just need
the gnome desktop, or if you installed something very light, like a server.

If you already have X installed and working, like if you installed KDE and you
now want gnome installed, then you can almost do what you said, but not quite.

First - get the list of groups
   yum grouplist

Then - do a groupinstall with the group in quotes, so what you would want to do is
   yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
and that will pull in all the gnome stuff.

But, the odds are that you are asking because you have a server installed, and
want a full graphical desktop, including the graphical login screen.
If you do just the gnome desktop, it is going to get you just that, the gnome
desktop and enough X stuff to satisfy dependancies.  But it won't get you the
gdm, or any of the X configuration stuff.  So you probrubly want

   yum groupinstall "X Window System"
   yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
as well as
   yum groupinstall "Graphical Internet"
   yum groupinstall "Printing Support"
   yum groupinstall "System Tools"
   yum groupinstall "Text-based Internet"

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group